Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Coconut Buttermilk Pound Cake

I love me some coconut, so much that the top we had two of our wedding cake tiers as coconut. I search out recipes and have been disappointed by many of the ones I've tried, but this one is amazing and easy! As you can tell below I couldn't even get a picture of it whole as once I took a tiny taste I needed more. I omitted the frosting as I didn't want it overly sweet and I really enjoyed it without the frosting.




Coconut Buttermilk Pound Cake
1 1/2 sticks butter, room temperature
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut (toast the coconut if you would like, I didn't)

Frosting:
2 tbsp buttermilk
1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup confectioners sugar
(after cake has completely cooled, whisk together and drizzle over the top of cake)

Preheat oven to 350
Butter and flour a loaf pan
Whisk together flour & baking powder
In large bowl using a mixer beat butter and sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy (about 8 minutes)
Add vanilla and then eggs one at a time beating well and scraping bowl down in between
With mixer on low, add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with two 1/2 cup additions of buttermilk and beat until combined
With a rubber spatula fold in coconut
Pour in pan and bake for 60 minutes (or until knife inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached)
Let cool in pan on baking rack
Remove from pan and drizzle with frosting

No comments:

Post a Comment