Monday, January 30, 2017

Chicken Enchiladas Verdes

Since I first used tomatillos recently I realized I needed to find more ways to use them. This recipe spoke to me and as always I made the necessary tweaks (didn't use jalapeno because I have 4 little mouths who eat dinner with us) to make it the perfect Verde Enchiladas. I also cheat when I make my Enchiladas, I don't roll them, I layer them.. I love writing down my recipes to help mix up my weekly menu planning.

Chicken Enchiladas Verde
2 lbs tomatillos, husked and rinsed (about 12-16 depending on size)
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup cilantro
5 garlic cloves peeled
1 dozen corn tortillas
3 1/2 cup shredded cooked chicken (I made this in my instant pot)
2 tbsp sour cream
4 oz Cotija cheese, crumbled
6 oz grated cheddar cheese

Garnish 
green onions
cilantro
sour cream

To Make the salsa Verde:
Preheat oven to broil, 550 degrees.
In large bowl toss together tomatillos, onion, garlic cloves and olive oil.
Place on cookie sheet with foil.
Roast in the oven for 7 minutes, until there are some brown spots on everything.
Turn the tomatillos and lower the oven to 400 degrees
Cook for another 5-8 minutes, until the tomatillos are soft.
Transfer to food processor and add cilantro and salt to taste.
I like mine very smooth so I ran this until a smooth consistency, but if you like it chunky don't process as much.

To make the Enchiladas:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Move salsa to a pot on stove on low. 
Spread 1 cup salsa onto bottom of baking dish.
Then add a layer of chicken.
Take your corn tortilla and dip it in salsa, covering it completely.
Layer on top of chicken.
Add a sprinkle of Cotija and cheddar.
Spread a layer of salsa, chicken, tortillas, cheese and repeat.
Very last you'll pour all remaining salsa over the top and sprinkle with all remaining cheese.
Place in oven for 20-25 minutes.
Once done, set out to cool for 10 minutes before serving
 Enjoy!
***If you want to use the jalapenos you'll want to use 2-3 stem end cut off (remove seeds to cut down on heat, or if you like the heat leave the seeds) Then they'll get cooked on the cookie sheet with the tomatillos, onion and garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment