Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Shepherd's Pie

Oh how I love a good Shepherd's Pie, but I usually find the recipes over involved or time consuming neither of which I have the patience or time for. I finally found a recipe that is quick easy and most of all delicious.

Shepherd's Pie

For the potatoes:
4-6 medium potatoes
1/4 cup heavy cream
4 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt & pepper

For the meat filling:
1 lb ground beef
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion chopped
1 tbsp garlic
Your favorite veggies (I use 1 cup of frozen 4 pack of corn, green beans, carrots and peas)
4 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3/4 water
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemary

Turn on oven 400 degrees
Place diced potatoes in water and bring to boil, cook until tender
While potatoes are cooking, heat skillet add olive oil, chopped onion and garlic.
Add ground beef to brown.
Sprinkle meat with flour and toss to coat. Cook for another minute
Stir in the tomato paste, water, Worcestershire, rosemary & thyme. Combine well and simmer fro 7-10 minutes until sauce thickens slightly.
Add veggies (I really love a frozen organic foursome that I use so I add 1/2 the bag.) Cook until desired doneness
When potatoes are done cooking add butter and cream and mash until smooth
Spray baking pan with non stick spray, pour in meat & veggie mixture. Top with potatoes, make sure to use a spatula and smooth potatoes all the way to the edges this helps create a seal and prevents the mixture from bubbling out too much.
Place baking dish on cookie sheet and bake in middle rack @ 400 for 1 hour 

No comments:

Post a Comment