Friday, August 30, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie

Today I have hard time believing Fall is coming, the heat outside feels like walking into a furnace when you open the door. Ok, that is a little dramatic seeing that where I live people would laugh that I think it's hot. It's 91 and 10:30am, with 41% humidity, this is about as hot as we get but to us it is HOT.  This has been such a mild summer I've had a hard time not thinking that Fall has already arrived, today has reassured me that it's still summer. At the beginning of this week when I was menu planning though the weather was still very Fall like and I found one of my favorite recipes that I realized I haven't shared. So here it is:

Crust
(you may think making your own crust isn't worth the time or hassle, but trust me it's easy and definitely worth it)
2 Cups flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter
6 T cold water
Combine flour, salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add water until ball is created (may need more water).
Put in fridge for 4 hours (I don't always do this step, if you forget to put in fridge I typically just put in fridge while I make the filling and it works well.)

Filling
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp salt & pepper
1 tbsp garlic
1 onion chopped
3 cups chicken broth
1 lb chicken
Carrots
Celery
Potatoes
1 bag frozen peas

Melt 1/2 cup butter, blend in flour, salt, pepper, onion and garlic
Stir in chicken broth, stir until thickened
Turn burner to medium
Add chicken, cook for 5 minutes
Stir in carrots, celery, potatoes, cook for 5 minutes
Add peas (I don't typically add a whole bag, just eyeball how much I want), cook for 2 minutes
Mix well.

Roll out pie crust on a floured surface and place in a greased pan (making sure to save some to use as a cover)
Pour filling into crust and cover with remaining crust.
Cut slits in crust
Bake @ 400 for 30 minutes or until crust is brown and filling is bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment