Saturday, October 12, 2013

Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies


Salted caramel is my kryptonite, but it has to be a good salted caramel. There's a lot of imitation salted caramels, I've had many  disappointments, many that got my hopes up so high only to be crushed by the first taste.  When you've tasted good salted caramel, you know what to expect, you know what your tastebuds are searching for. So I'm always very hesitant when I see a recipe/food "claiming" to be salted caramel. Well I found a recipe that definitely lives up to it's claim. So now I share my kryptonite with you...Enjoy



Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 cups + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup salted butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 egg yolk, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
6 wrapped caramels, cut into the size of half a sugar cube (I used Trader Jacques' Fleur De Sel Caramels)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Sea salt (I used pink Himalayan)

Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl, set aside
With an electric mixer or stand mixer, cream butter and sugars together.
Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla bean paste and mix well
Gradually add the flour mixture and stir until a dough forms
Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts
Chill dough for 30 minutes in the refrigerator
Preheat oven to 350
Drop by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet
Gently press a few pieces of caramels onto the tops of the cookies
Bake for 8-10 minutes, until edges are slightly browned
As soon as removed from oven gently sprinkle with sea salt
After cookies have set (about 2-3 minutes) move to cooling racks 

Since I've already tested this recipe I have definitely worked out a few of the bugs from the original recipe. I added walnuts, because personally I cannot eat a chocolate chip cookie without them and it adds a nice texture and a little bit of additional salt.  I also found the original recipe called for the caramels to be much bigger, but I made them quite a bit smaller for a few reasons. I didn't want to have a really sticky, chewy piece of caramel in my cookies, more than anything I just wanted the caramels for added flavor so the size I used worked perfectly for flavor and didn't leave a huge chunk of caramel in the cookie. So keep in mind if you're wanting that chewy, sticky piece of caramel then make sure to cut your caramel bigger.  This could easily become one of your go-to cookies this holiday season during cookie exchanges, dessert parties, a plate of cookies for the neighbors... etc as this cookie not only has great flavor but is something more unique than your standard chocolate chip cookie. 
Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment