Thursday, May 13, 2021

Pickled Onions

Three weeks in a row our farm box sent Pompeii Onions, think a small red(ish) onion growing with the green onion tops. I love a good onion but wasn't using them as fast as we were getting them. Truth be told I forgot we had them until the next week when I put them back in the fridge. Tuesday seeing I had 6 of these onions I decided to try my hand at pickling. Not knowing which would be our favorite I mixed it up a bit and tried different variations of vinegar.  Our favorite was the White Wine vinegar as well as ACV, I honestly wouldn't make the white vinegar one again. Also I did add the "green onion" part of the onion and one jar I even added cilantro (next time I'll use the whole bunch of cilantro)
Here's my super simple recipe:

Pickled Onions
2 medium size onions
4 cups boiling water
1/2 cup vinegar of your choice (White Wine, ACV, White, Rice, etc)
1/2 cup water
3 Tbsp sugar (can sub honey)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp peppercorns

1.) Peel the onions and slice thinly, I used my Cuisinart.
2.) Add sliced onions to the boiling water and let sit for 5 minutes
3.) Drain onions
4.) Place onions in bell jars (or whatever you're going to keep them in)
5.) Place vinegar, sugar, peppercorns, 1/2 cup water and salt in a container that you can close and shake. 
6.) Pour liquid over onions completely to cover, place on lid and refrigerate.

*Mangia! Mangia!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment