Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Crock Pot Beef with Broccoli

I've been wanting beef with broccoli for a few weeks now, but haven't gotten around to making it. By the time dinner came around we needed to do something a little bit faster in preparation. Today I was planning on it for dinner again and was thinking about timing, especially with the time change. Then I realized that I could probably manipulate my current recipe to be a crock pot recipe. So I gave it a shot. It turned out really good, simple and the meat melted in your mouth. So now I share with you.

Crock pot Beef with Broccoli
1 lb beef (I used flank steak), cut into bite size pieces
1 onion sliced into quarters (I used red because that's what I had you could use yellow)
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1/3 cup slightly packed brown sugar
4 Tbsp garlic minced
3 Tbsp chopped ginger
2 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
3 cups broccoli florets
Green onions, to garnish
Sesame seeds, to garnish

Add beef and onion quarters to crock pot
In a bowl mix together, beef broth, soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, garlic & ginger.
Pour mixture over beef and onions in crock pot
Cover with lid and cook on low 4-6 hours
Ladle out 1/4 of broth from crock pot into a bowl, add cornstarch and whisk until smooth.
Remove onion quarters from crock pot
Return cornstarch mixture to crock pot and stir gently
Add in broccoli pieces (if you would like them to stay bright green you'll want to steam them first and then add right before you want to eat.)  To make things simple I prefer just adding the broccoli to the crock pot and turning on high for 20 minutes, or until broccoli has your desired tenderness and the sauce has thickened.
Serve over rice and sprinkle with sesame and green onions.


1 comment: