Saturday, October 24, 2020

Bread Dumpling Soup

Wanted to mix things up a bit, Fall season is upon us and the weather was calling for soup but I wanted something new. Something we haven't tried before. So I pulled out all my cookbooks for inspiration. It came to me in the form of Mario Batali, Bread Dumpling Soup. Try it yourself you won't regret it. I tweaked the recipe, as it originally called to pan fry the dumplings, I just don't have time for that when I have 4 hungry kids to feed, plus hubby and myself it would've taken me an hour to do all the dumplings. So, I made this super fast and easy, I placed all the dumplings on a parchment covered cookie sheet and baked in the oven. You're welcome! I also added fresh sliced cabbage to the soup but any green (spinach, arugula...) would do, it added the perfect texture, not to mention nutrition.

Bread Dumpling Soup

6 cups 1/2 inch cubes (day old bread)

2 cups milk

6 large eggs, 4 separated, 2 left whole

6-8oz of Prosciutto Di Parma, cut into small dice

1 1/2 cups Parmesan

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/4 cup finely chopped Parsley

Salt and Pepper to taste

2 cups breadcrumbs

6 cups chicken stock


1) In large bowl, cover the bread with milk. Allow to sit for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°

2) Lightly beat the egg yolks in another large bowl. Squeeze the excess milk from the bread and transfer to bowl with the egg yolks. Add the Prosciutto, 1 cup of Parmesan, nutmeg, the 2 whole eggs, parsley and salt & pepper to taste.

3) In small shallow bowl beat the egg whites to a froth. Roll each ball in the egg whites, then dredge in breadcrumbs. 

4) Place balls on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Once all completed place in oven, and bake until browned on outside. Mine took about 20 minutes.

5) While baking heat chicken stock in a medium saucepan. 

6) Divide dumplings into soup bowls, add greens if using. Then pour hot broth over them and sprinkle with Parmesan. 

7) Mangia!! Mangia!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment