Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Instant Pot Giardiniera

 

I know everyone loves a really long intro prior to a recipe, but I don't. I want to just read the recipe, not the hour long story about the recipe. So I keep these short.

We love a good pickled anything. All time family favorite is cauliflower, but it's hard to find in stores. I found a recipe in an Instant Pot cookbook that I've been trying and perfecting. So now I'll share it with you. I'll leave the recipe to include other vegetables so you can test other favorites.


Giardiniera

1 1/3 cup cold water

1 1/3 cup white wine vinegar

1 1/3 cup white vinegar

8 garlic cloves peeled, left whole

20 black peppercorns

2 tsp garlic salt (can sub for regular salt)

2 tsp sugar

1 tsp fennel seeds

2 small bay leaves

1 head of cauliflower left whole

2 medium carrots, left whole

2 celery ribs, left whole

1 small fennel bulb, sliced in half


Place all vinegar, water, garlic, salt, sugar, fennel seeds, bay leaf and peppercorns in bottom on Instant Pot. 

Place a steamer basket in the bottom of the pot, then layer with the denser vegetables on bottom, carrot, cauliflower, then celery and fennel. 

Place IP lid on and close, select the pressure cook option (I have 2 IP's, one has a manual button I use, the other has the Pressure cook button). 

Pressure cook on High for 0 minutes (yes....that is correct 0 minutes)

Once pot is done, do a quick-release of pressure. 

Bring all the vegetables out while steaming hot, slicing them into bite-size pieces

Place all vegetables in a sterilized jar and pour the hot brine over the top. You may not need all the liquid, if you don't have quite enough make sure to get at least 3/4 full and you can top off with filtered water. 

Let stand 10 minutes and then cover and place in the refrigerator. 

Mangia! Mangia!



These can be stored in the jar for up to a month. Ours never last two days, as they're eaten so fast. But good luck to you

***I put the peppercorn, fennel seeds and bay leaves in a cheesecloth as when you use the remaining liquid in the jars I like to omit those, you could also strain at the end if you don't want them in your jars.



No comments:

Post a Comment