Sunday, October 14, 2012

Crock Pot Chili (Pumpkin/Butternut Squash Chili recipe too)

This is a recipe I change up the meat on a lot and it changes the flavor and texture of the chili. Sometimes I do a chili con carne, other times a chicken chili and I've also done a ground turkey chili. All turn out very good, and just dependent on what meat I have in the refrigerator.

Crock Pot Chili
2 cans of beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 lb meat (chicken, ground beef, ground turkey)
1 chopped onion
1-2 tbsp taco seasoning (this is a definite cheat for me, as the flavors are perfect for chili and I don't often use cayenne or chili powder so those spices usually just sit in my pantry)
2 tbs chopped garlic

That's it! I typically use whatever beans I have in the pantry and usually use two different types, pinto, kidney, great northern, black beans...etc

When I use ground beef or ground turkey I brown them both first on the stove top and then drain off the excess cooking grease.
I typically serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, and chopped cilantro.
And of course cornbread!


Pumpkin Chili/Butternut Squash Chili
Come Fall I add some flavors from the season, by following the recipe above and then either chopping up some butternut squash and putting that in or adding a can of pumpkin puree (make sure it's not the pie filling).

No comments:

Post a Comment