Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken

I got a request from my husband to mix things up a little and experiment with some new recipes as sometimes the crock pot always seems like a pot of soup, or cooked down vegetables with meat. SO...I did some quick (actually it wasn't quick as I was interrupted every 5 seconds by little ones wanting a snack, or to play with me, or just to ask me something) BUT I found some new recipes and if they're good I'll share them.
This was last nights dinner and it was a huge hit all around.



Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken
1 lb chicken (I use thighs)
8 green onions, sliced
2 tsp garlic
2 tsp chopped ginger (optional)
2 tsp fish sauce (optional)
1/2 cup honey
1/4 ketchup
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional, we opted to leave this out)
4 tsp cornstarch
1/3 cup water
1/2 tbsp (or more) sesame seeds
3 scallions chopped
Cooked rice
Broccoli

Place chicken in crock pot
In small bowl combine 1/2 of your green onions (other 1/2 reserved for garnish), garlic, ginger, honey, fish sauce, honey, ketchup, soy sauce, sesame oil and red pepper flakes. Mix
Pour over chicken. Cook on low 3-4 hours or on high for 2 hours
Remove chicken and shred into bite sized pieces.
In small bowl dissolve 4 tsp cornstarch with 1/3 cup water.
Add to crock pot.
Stir to combine with sauce.
Place broccoli and chicken back in crock pot and cook an additional 10 minutes to thicken the sauce (if you want the sauce thicker continue to add cornstarch dissolved in water until you get desired thickness).
Serve over rice with sesame seeds & green onions to garnish.

This would also be very good over chow mein like noodles, if I was to use the noodles I'd cook separately and then toss in the crock pot to cover with the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment