Sunday, January 18, 2015

Deconstructed Cabbage Rolls

I was looking to branch out, try a few new recipes, mix things up a bit. I can usually read a recipe and know pretty quickly a) if my family would like it and b) how to change it up a bit, if needed. I came across a recipe for Cabbage rolls, honestly never in my life had I had one before, but the ingredients definitely sounded like something that we would like. However I did dread the idea of "rolling the filling into the cabbage." So...I thought on it and realized I could get all the same great flavors out of recipe without having to roll each cabbage leaf individually. So last night we tested my recipe and I will tell you it was fantastic. So good that I don't even have a picture to share, before I knew it we'd eaten the whole batch. So instead I'll share the recipe with you and urge you to try it.

Deconstructed Cabbage Rolls
1 lb ground beef
1 tbsp olive oil
1 lg onion chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium head of green cabbage, chopped
1 lg can of diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 cup bone broth (or chicken stock if you don't have bone broth)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

In large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat, add ground beef & onion
Stir ground beef until browned
Add garlic and cook for another minute
Add chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, bone broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper
Bring to boil.
Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes until cabbage is tender

We served over rice. It was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment