Thursday, November 15, 2012

Fennel (Finocchio) Salad

Have you seen this in the grocery store and thought to yourself, what the heck is Fennel (Finocchio in Italian), what on earth would I do with it?? Well this is a staple in our house, thanks to marrying an Italian I've been introduced to foods I'd never had before and this has to be one of my all time favorites. We use Finocchio in many different methods in our house, one of which is a salad, just this last week between my two toddlers and myself we finished off 8 bulbs of Finocchio. Oh so good. At Thanksgiving (and Christmas) we put a different spin  on our usual salad, we "fancy" it up a bit.

Finocchio Salad
2 bulbs of Finocchio sliced
3-4 tbsp olive oil
6 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1/4-1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
A few pieces of shaved Parmesan

Mix all ingredients together
Chill
Enjoy

***Year around we use this same recipe just without the pomegranate seeds and Parmesan, and as a dressing simple balsamic vinegar and olive oil instead of the lemon juice.

***Finocchio is also a great addition to stuff inside the turkey and add some chopped to your stuffing recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment