Monday, August 29, 2016

Instant Pot---Chili Verde

Having never cooked with Tomatillos before I was excited to try this recipe. And I can tell you I'll be cooking with Tomatillos more often. They were so easy to use and the flavor was spot on. This dish was put together in 5 minutes and then 15 minutes to cook. Couldn't ask for an easier recipe.

Chili Verde
1 white onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, peeled (but left whole)
15 tomatillos, husked and quartered
3 anaheim peppers, remove seeds and chopped
1-2 tbsp cumin
1 tsp salt
3 lbs chicken Chicken, skin on bone in
1/2 cup Cilantro, more for garnish
Green onions
corn tortillas
sour cream

Add chicken, tomatillos, anaheim peppers, onion, garlic, cumin and salt to pressure cooker. Heat on high until gently sizzling, seal Instant Pot and cook for 15 minutes.
When it's done release the pressure take the chicken out and pull off bone.
Add cilantro to Instant Pot and with a hand blender blend until smooth. Taste test to see if it needs more salt or cumin
Add chicken back to sauce
Serve with green onions, tortillas, sour cream & cilantro

Now keep in mind while making this the tomatillos and peppers become your sauce, so the more sauce you want the more tomatillos and peppers you add. Now don't forget if you add more tomatillos and peppers you want to up your onion, garlic and cumin too. You can even spice it up a bit by throwing in some jalapenos or a habanero if you like it really spicy. I didn't go that route as I still have little mouths to feed and was worried I'd get it too spicy for them. But next time I think that I could get away adding a jalapeno as it would add a nice spice.

Enjoy!

For my crock pot folks, don't think I've forgotten about you. This could easily be done in the crock pot, just follow the same recipe cook on low for 6-8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment