Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Instant Pot---Congee







 I've resisted buying an Instant Pot for a while but have desperately wanted one. Finally it was on sale and I had a little extra funds to buy it, and the timing couldn't be better. If you know me you know that I LOVE my crock pot, I typically use it at least two times a week. Well, so far I've used the Instant Pot everyday since I got it on Saturday. I've steamed corn, artichokes, roasted potatoes, and made ribs. I plan to post the rib recipe but I didn't get any pictures because they were so darn good they were gone before I remembered to get a picture. Last nights recipe, oh I cannot even put into words how much we all enjoyed it. I knew I wanted to try something I've never attempted to cook before, so I found the perfect recipe, tweaked it a bit and made what is definitely a family favorite. Although it's still summer this tasted really good but I can picture eating it on a cool Fall/Winter night and know that it will taste even that more satisfying. 

Congee
2 tbsp fat/lard of your choice
4 ribs of celery, chopped
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1/2 a leek, sliced
4 tbsp grated ginger
1 lb ground pork (or any meat of your choice)
1 1/2 cups rice (rinsed until water runs clear)
9 cups bone broth/water (I dilute my bone broth some as the cooking adds an additional depth of flavor and we use a ton of bone broth throughout the week)
1/2 tsp salt
Napa cabbage, chopped
Green onions, sliced
Start with the aromatics:
Turn Instant Pot on to Saute, add lard/fat, celery, garlic, leek and let cook until soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
Turn off Instant Pot.

Add the ground meat, salt, ginger, rice and broth.
Attach lid, close the vent and press the "porridge" button, for 30 minutes.
When done, open lid and stir to break up any big pieces.
Stir in Napa cabbage and green onions.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment